Friday, November 11, 2011

RUNAWAY BRIDE(S)

Here's something I wrote back in 2005, slightly edited:

Jennifer Wilbanks.

Don't know the name? Well, if you've been anywhere but under a rock you'll recognize her story.

She's the real-life "runaway bride," the woman who faked her own kidnapping in order to avoid her wedding.

Yeah, people are pissed. She wasted countless hours and dollars that were spent by worried volunteers and police forces who could have spent their time on more worthy and necessary causes.

My first reaction was no different. I couldn't believe what she had done, and it made me angry. What made me even more angry, and confused, was hearing that her husband-to-be still wants to marry her! Is the dude stupid? Is he an idiot? He was just embarrassed in front of an entire nation...he will forever be the man who was such a loser that his fiancee went to such extreme measures to avoid marrying him...to the point of faking her own disappearance. I don't know about you guys, but if my fiancee did that to me I wouldn't take her back so easily...I'd be so embarrassed, so heartbroken, so discouraged, so dishonored, so angry, so bitter...


BAM


I am her.

I was to be married to the most wonderful, beautiful, perfect groom...and for some reason, I ran away. My wickedness drew me away from my Love and towards barrenness, loneliness, and despair. I embarrassed Him...I cannot bear to imagine what the Enemy must have been thinking as he scoffed and mocked Him. I made Him so angry, so heartbroken, so dishonored, that He wad driven to the point of death.

I left Him there on that altar...and it is on that altar that He sacrificed Himself, to show that He was not angry with me, He was not bitter, He forgave my stupidity and waywardness, once and for all.

And so, once again, I run back to the place I left my Husband...I run back to that altar...I run back to that cross, beckoning Him to take my hand in marriage again, vowing to never run away again.

And like always, He says, "I do."
"I will go back to my husband as at first, for then I was better off than now." - Hosea 2:7

"For no matter how many promises God has made, they are "Yes" in Christ." - 2 Corinthians 1:20

No comments: