Thursday, November 10, 2011

REGULAR?

Here's something I wrote back in 2005, unedited:

My favorite gas station is the Gulf on Northfield Ave. in West Orange, hands down, no questions asked. They have the best pumpers. There's that one young kid who always greets me with a familiar "Hey" and a warm smile, and then there's this guy.

So it's Friday, I'm driving home from work to start the weekend, but I'm low on gas. That darned yellow light is on, yet again, and so I decide to stop by the Gulf on my way home.

I pull up to the pump, and the guy walks over to my car and uncaps my tank.

"Can I have $15 of regular please?" I says.

"Regular? This is Ferrari, man!" he proclaims with a smile.

"What? Are you kidding?" I says with a smile, slightly caught off guard by the unusually funny comment made by a man pumping gas. Then I laughed and he just smiled back.

"Regular? This is Ferrari, man!" I believe these are words that our Lord utters many times, though in more eloquent, divine, and true fashion.

We all pull up to the spiritual pump at least once a day (I hope), asking God to fill us up again. But what do we ask for? It seems that all to often we ask for things that may be good, but not the best. We ask for mushy love in the form of an imperfect person, when we have full love in the form of a perfect Lord and Savior knocking on our door. We ask for fleeting money that disappears just as water or sand does in our hands, when we have complete and eternal wealth and treasures that can never fade or flee awaiting our ever nearing homecoming. We unknowingly ask for immaturity and distance from God when we plead for pain, sorrow, and struggle to just be taken away, when we have maturity, fulness in character, and more intimate nearness to God waiting for us at the end of this short valley.

Regular? We're spiritual Ferraris, man!

Our bodies, hearts, and souls are no Kias, Hondas, or even Bentleys...they're so much better than that, and so, they deserve better than regular.

And yes, premium gas is quite expensive, but the currency we use is that of mercy and grace, and that is given to us in infinite measure by our Lord Jesus Christ.

Let's stop settling for regular, when premium, when supreme, when the best is offered to us freely each and every moment of our lives. It is ours for the taking.

Thanks Mr. Gas Pumper...I will never get regular again.
"We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade, the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito. And the incognito is not always easy to penetrate. The real labor is to remember to attend. In fact to come awake. Still more to remain awake." - C.S. Lewis
"The greatest enemy of the life of faith in God is not sin, but good choices which are not quite good enough. The good is always the enemy of the best." - Oswald Chambers

No comments: