Sunday, October 30, 2011

NEW EYES, NEW WORDS

For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account. (Hebrews 4:12-13 ESV)
I'm never fully satisfied with the outcomes of my eye exams because of the parts where the doctor asks me to read the letters and numbers from the chart on the wall. Regardless of whether they ask me to cover one eye at a time or try out different combinations of lenses to find the true quality of my eyesight, the characters remain the same.

So when they ask me to read a line on that chart with one combination of lenses formed in that Phoroptor (the contraption they place against my face), then ask me to read the same lifeless line again with another combination of lenses, it's tempting to recite the string of letters and numbers from memory rather than by what I actually see. The doctor's words of affirmation each time don't help.

How can I be satisfied with such a crude test for something as important as my eyesight?

This is why I'm glad God's Word is alive -- always the same yet always different.

I am still amazed at how much I learn from reading the same passages of the Bible over and over and over again. The words remain the same, yet their meaning and significance are always different -- clearer, sharper, deeper.

Among the many things the Word of God is to me, it's a litmus test. Each time I read its pages, I discover the quality of my mind, heart and soul. I often don't like its results, but I'm glad for them.

Those words are lenses through which I learn how well I see God, myself, others around me, this world, my life -- everything.

Though I sometimes begrudge reading "the same" words over and over and over again, childishly believing that there is no more to glean from them, I am never left the same after reading them.

New joys are found.
New sins are in need of repentance.
New convictions wound me.
New comforts heal me.
New chains are found.
New keys unlock new freedoms.
New tears are shed.
New eyes are grown.
When our color dies,
We will bury the ashes of time,
And we will earn new eyes.

No comments: