Thursday, April 23, 2009

I am a failure

It took me seven months but I finally made my first trip to the gym yesterday. I got to run, lift free weights (chest) and chisel my abs. It was glorious.

One of the reasons why I enjoy working out so much is the chance it gives me to stare at myself in the mirrors.

No, not in that vain kind of way. (If I had more impressive muscles, maybe it would in that vain kind of way.)

In between sets I like sitting down and staring into my reflected self's eyes in the mirror in front of me. I just stare into my own eyes and ponder me - something I never do outside of the weight room.

When I do this, I am almost always led to thoughts of disappointment with myself. Yes, partly because of how little weight I am lifting compared to the centaur next to me, but mostly because of thoughts that are quite similar to this one haunting question:

After 27 years, this is all you've become?


Yesterday, just as I began this process, a song began playing. Its first few lines go like this:

And it's all right, it's all right
And it's all right, it's all right
Everybody is a failure in this light


I couldn't help but to grin.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

I've never heard anyone say that they liked to go to the gym because they like to look at themselves in the mirror. well, maybe they thought it but would never admit it.

at first i raised my brow wondering if you were vain but kept reading and realized that I too have those kind of reflections while looking at my reflection as i exercise.

you're not a failure! don't think those thoughts!

Joseph Jang said...

you're not a failure jason!

Soon said...

"im not cool/but thats okay/my God loves me anyway"

ever heard that song?