Tuesday, April 21, 2009

glory (n.)

I was walking home yesterday and began to pray through the Lord's Prayer. A while ago I heard someone say that the Lord's Prayer touches upon all the essential aspects of prayer. So, sometimes when words to say to my Father do not come easily, I pray through the prayer that Jesus taught us. In other words, I pray each line, pause, and pray it in my own personal, current words, in a way that means something to me where I am right now.

If you've never try this, I think you should. You'll be surprised at how long you can pray for, and how many hidden things will surface in your words.

Anyway, I eventually came to the last line:

"For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen."

Then I thought: what does glory really mean?

So, I looked it up in Webster's New World College Dictionary, Fourth Edition:
1.
a) great honor and admiration won by doing something important or valuable; fame; renown
b) anything bringing this
2. worshipful adoration or praise
3. the condition of highest achievement, splendor, prosperity, etc. [Greece in her glory]
4. radiant beauty or splendor; magnificence
5. heaven or the bliss of heaven
6.
a) a halo or its representation in art
b) any circle of light
I hope this blesses you in some way.

No comments: