Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Beauty in the unknown, or 'Jumping into puddles'

I was talking with a friend online the other day (if you're reading this, *wink wink*), and he mentioned Sigur Ros. I asked him if he liked the band, and he said yes, but that he wished he knew what they were saying. I agreed. Then he typed: "but i guess not knowing what they say adds to the music."

I replied: "true true."

And there it is.

It occurred to me on the way back to my apartment today that there is a lot of good that is left unappreciated and unnoticed because we foolishly disdain any shade of ignorance in our lives.

I'm not saying that absolute ignorance is absolute bliss, but methinks we are too preoccupied with knowing without appreciating not knowing.

Just as those strange Icelandic words add to the beauty of Sigur Ros' music, many of the things that quicken our pulses are rooted in the unknown...

...wondering what's around the corner...
...waiting on the results of exams and submitted papers...
...figuring out whether or not the girl you like reciprocates your affection for her...

This is why I'm somewhat glad that God hasn't revealed everything to us yet. The mystery of who he is (or isn't), what he does (or doesn't), how he does it (or doesn't) and why he does it (or doesn't) makes him more beautiful and glorious.

When our frustration about all that we don't understand is eventually stripped away, and when our unhealthy hunger for theology as a panacea is finally given up, I hope this sentiment will remain.

So, I hope you'll join me in the quest to see the unknown differently - not as a land that must always be conquered, but as a realm whose lingering presence makes us smile.


Sigur Ros - "Hoppipolla"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is precisely why I hated biology and ecology in college! I'm really glad we have scientists who have dedicated their lives to understanding how the world works, but I would prefer to think that flowers are pollinated by fairies, thank you very much.