Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Seriously?

Robert Mugabe has reminded me of something: virtually every problem humans experience on this earth is the direct result of someone taking themselves either too seriously, or not seriously enough. In Mr. Mugabe's case, it's clearly the former.

I think that this is one of the few major roots that keep so many of us tied down from who and what we could be, from everything that we could potentially accomplish, from being things to others that we should always be daring to be.

And this is also another reason why the Gospel of Jesus Christ is so beautiful to me, for in it I see the absolute best response to the problem above. Clearly, the solution must lie somewhere in between the two extremes: we must avoid taking ourselves too seriously, while at the same time holding firmly to our very real significance. The Gospel helps us to do both, to steer clear between the two evils, and to regain our true glory.

It reminds us that we are absolutely nothing, that we are unable to do for ourselves the only thing that matters. It also reminds us that we are worth so much that our salvation demands (and receives) the highest price, paid on our behalf.

Or, as Tim Keller puts it:
And here is the source of true kindness. The salvation of Jesus humbles us profoundly – we are so lost that he had to die for us. But it exalts and assures us mightily — we are so valued that he was glad to die for us. Because we are sinners totally accepted by grace, we have both the humility and the boldness necessary to serve others for their sake, not ours.
And:
Lord Jesus Christ, I admit that I am weaker and more sinful than I ever before believed, but, through you, I am more loved and accepted than I ever dared hope. I thank you for paying my debt, bearing my punishment and offering forgiveness. I turn from my sins and receive you as Savior. Amen.

No comments: