Sunday, September 23, 2007

Phatastic Quotes

I've been reading a lot lately.  Well, a lot for me...which probably isn't all that much for a lot of other people out there.  I'm currently reading Phantastes by George MacDonald.  I chose to read this because C.S. Lewis pointed this book out as one of the more influential books he read when he was younger.  I wanted to see what would impress Clive Staples, and though I'm only halfway through, I can already see why he liked this book so much.

It's a pure joy to see someone express such deep truths in the context of a fairytale.

I won't try to summarize the book or anything, but here are some lines from the book that stood out to me.

"Ah! that is always the way with you men; you believe nothing the first time; and it is foolish enough to let mere repetition convince you of what you consider in itself unbelievable."

"For there is an old prophecy in our woods that one day we shall all be men and women like you.  Do you know anything about it in your region? Shall I be very happy when I am a woman? I fear not, for it is always in nights like these that I feel like one.  But I long to be a woman for all that."

"Oh, no.  They are all disagreeable selfish creatures--(what horrid men they will make, if it be true!)--but this one has a hole in his heart that nobody knows of but one or two; and he is always trying to fill it up, but he cannot.  That must be what he wanted you for.  I wonder if he will ever be a man.  If he is, I hope they will kill him."

"What distressed me most--more even than my own folly--was the perplexing question, How can beauty and ugliness dwell so near?  Even with her altered complexion and her face of dislike; disenchanted of the belief that clung around her; known for a living, walking sepulchre, faithless, deluding, traitorous; I felt, notwithstanding all this, that she was beautiful."

""Very true! you speak like a sensible man, sir.  We have but few sensible folks round about us.  Now, you would hardly credit it, but my wife believes every fairy-tale that ever was written.  I cannot account for it.  She is a most sensible woman in everything else."
  "But should not that make you treat her belief with something of respect, though you cannot share in it yourself?"
  "Yes, that is all very well in theory; but when you come to live every day in the midst of absurdity, it is far less easy to behave respectfully to it."

"Afterwards I learned, that the best way to manage some kinds of painful thoughts, is to dare them to do their worst; to let them lie and gnaw at your heart till they are tired; and you find you still have a residue of life they cannot kill."

"Why are all reflections lovelier than what we call the reality?--not so grand or so strong, it may be, but always lovelier? Fair as is the gliding sloop on the shining sea, the wavering, trembling, unresting sail below is fairer still.  Yea, the reflecting ocean itself, reflected in the mirror, has a wondrousness about its waters that somewhat vanishes when I turn towards itself.  All mirrors are magic mirrors.  The commonest room is a room in a poem when I turn to the glass.  (And this reminds me, while I write, of a strange story which I read in the fairy palace, and of which I will try to make a feeble memorial in its place.)  In whatever way it may be accounted for, of one thing we may be sure, that this feeling is no cheat; for there is no cheating in nature and the simple unsought feelings of the soul.  There must be a truth involved in it, though we may but in part lay hold of the meaning.  Even the memories of past pain are beautiful; and past delights, though beheld only through clefts in the grey clouds of sorrow, are lovely as Fairy Land.  But how have I wandered into the deeper fairyland of the soul, while as yet I only float towards the fairy palace of Fairy Land! The moon, which is the lovelier memory or reflex of the down-gone sun, the joyous day seen in the faint mirror of the brooding night, had rapt me away."

"As in all sweetest music, a tinge of sadness was in every note.  Nor do we know how much of the pleasures even of life we owe to the intermingled sorrows.  Joy cannot unfold the deepest truths, although deepest truth must be deepest joy.  Cometh white-robed Sorrow, stooping and wan, and flingeth wide the doors she may not enter.  Almost we linger with Sorrow for every love."

No comments: