Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Books, Controversy and Erudition

Well, if life is a reflection of the Bible, then I am stuck in Ecclesiastes right now.

I guess different people have different means of coping with their Ecclesiastes seasons. Some splurge on clothes, some gorge themselves with all kinds of delightful foods, while some drink themselves into oblivion. As for me, I think that I buy books.

In the past four weeks, I've purchased the following books:

- Wild at Heart, by John Eldredge (read)
- Phantastes, by George MacDonald (currently reading)
- Sir Gibbie, by George MacDonald
- The Princess and the Goblin, by George MacDonald
- The Everlasting Man, by G.K. Chesterton
- Walden, by Henry David Thoreau
- Fooled by Randomness, by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
- Stumbling on Happiness, by Daniel Gilbert
- Suite Francaise, by Irene Nemirovsky

This is not to mention the few books that I already have in possession and desire to read, along with a list of other books that I shall purchase as soon as I complete this list.

It's funny how the things I once abhorred are now the things I take solace and even joy in.



Has anyone been following the recent capers of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad? Call me a sucker for hype, but he interests me. Don't take that to mean that I admire the man or back his beliefs. He just amuses me for some odd reason, in the same way that he seems to be amused whenever he is questioned about his outrageous stances on touchy issues.

During a bathroom stop today I thought about his whole visit to Columbia and pondered two things:

1. It's never as much about what someone is saying as it is about who is saying it. This must have been a big part of why Jesus conjured up such a storm, because what he said and who he was were one in the same.

2. I wonder why God chose the time he did to deliver Jesus into that manger. The president of Iran comes to New York City and causes an uproar not only in the physical locations he was at, but online, on the radio waves, on television, and in countless conversations across the world. There are so many outlets for the discussion and dissemination of information nowadays, which makes it so much easier for someone to get their message out, regardless of its content or absurdity. But Jesus came at a time when the Internet, radio, television, and the quick transmission of information by any means did not exist. Why?

I can only conclude that it was to take away any doubt whatsoever that the spread of the gospel was God's work, not man's.



Lastly, for all of you out there who love to learn, I recommend this site.

Cheers.

No comments: