Monday, January 05, 2009

I am Legend, or "Why-why-why won't the world revolve around me?"

You can bow and pretend
That you don't-don't know you're a legend
- "America's Suitehearts" by Fall Out Boy

I saw "The Tale of Despereaux" last week with my mom. While the visuals were splendid, the story was flimsy.

A theme that runs through the movie is how mice are afraid of exhibiting the virtues of bravery and courage, and instead hold dear the display of cowardice and timidity. Frankly, it reminded me of Christians. Many of us are almost too good at humility, meekness and patience, and we unknowingly denounce brazen, naked moxie because it reeks of "pride" and everything else unsavory to our spiritual tongues.

Well, it's time to wake up. I could be wrong here, but I don't think there is a single significant Bible character who was just humble, meek and patient. There is always another side filled with unbridled passion, whether for better or worse.

It seems that God cherishes those children of his who exhibit this duality, even if they do fall too often on the side of error.

As for me, in 2009 I hope to be a bit more like Despereaux - except, at least three times bigger.

I want to live a life that angels chatter about, with envy.


Fall Out Boy - America's Suitehearts (Acoustic)

1 comment:

mary said...

mm... that's a provoking and encouraging train of thought. a life the angels chatter about, with envy....
i like it. :)