Sunday, April 13, 2008

Taste and see that Zooey is good.

Before a few weeks ago, I only knew Zooey Deschanel as an actress who starred in Elf, among other works, and who was a bit of a singer on the side. I liked her because of her role in Elf, but I didn't know or see enough of her to really, really like her the way I dig Natalie Portman. Oh, but that's another tale of unrequited love for another day.

Back to Zooey.

So, about a month ago I read about a new musical duo called She & Him. Zooey is the lead singer (as well as the piano and banjo player), while M. Ward handles the guitars and production. I listened to some of M. Ward's stuff before, and I liked it. I also liked what I knew of Zooey, and was very interested to hear her sing. Their debut album, Volume One, got pretty good reviews, so I decided to take a listen.

I really liked what I heard. Their music spans the oldies, country, and indie genres pretty well. And Zooey's vocals? She manages to sound like three different people in one album, but her voice is stupendous.

Needless to say, after listening to the album once, I finally fell for Zooey Deschanel.

I listened to the album over and over and over again, and I looked at as many photos of her as possible (with the purest of intentions). She became beautiful to me!

This got me to thinking: why did it take listening to her sing for me to fall for this girl?

Then I thought of this:

Taste and see that the LORD is good...
- Psalm 34:8

It's one thing to know things about someone. Before listening to She & Him, I saw that Zooey was a decent actress, a lovely lady, and knew that she was a singer, but those separate pieces of experience and knowledge alone did not tip me over to her. But once I finally experienced her singing, the trifecta was complete. I finally tasted and saw that Zooey was, indeed, good...at acting, looking pretty, and singing, and that was enough for me to truly admire her.

Many Christians have personally experienced some attributes of God. Some have experienced his goodness, while others his power, and still others his holiness. But I think that the majority of Christians know more about God than they have actually tasted of him.

What I mean is this: there may be many who have read, heard, and known that God is almighty, but have they really experienced it? The same goes for his provision, love, comfort...

Christians must always be concerned with making that jump, from knowing to actually seeing and tasting. This may require more deliberate surrendering, risk-taking, and humility, but whatever it may cost, there is no doubt that this endeavor is well worth it.

There is no verse saying, "Know that the LORD is good" in the Bible, and I think there's a very good reason for that.

If your friend told you about a pretty girl/guy that they have fallen for, wouldn't you want to actually see her/him? If your friend told you all about a great movie that they saw recently, doesn't that spark an interest in you to see it? If your friend told you about a really good restaurant, wouldn't you want to go and see for yourself? Then why are we so satisfied with just hearing and reading about God, the one we love? Why do we stop there and so often dig in our heels when an opportunity to actually taste comes along? Are our desires so easily placated?

While it may sound peaceful, Psalm 34:8 should be an aggressive challenge for many of us.

The beauty of this is that there is no end. While God's attributes cannot all be sufficiently tasted within a lifetime, Christians have the full assurance that they will have plenty of occasions to taste and see him in his fullest glory, for eternity.

1 comment:

Rodrigo Perez said...

The Go-Getter is finally coming out in select cities on June 6.
Details here
http://theplaylist.blogspot.com/2008/03/exclusive-go-getter-film-getting-june-6.html