Wednesday, February 13, 2008

I am Bitter; Come On!; I am Boring; Test Your Ignorance; Jason = Genius

Well, foolish me, I didn't check my work email inbox this morning. After all, the roads weren't that bad, right? Imagine my delight when I sat down at my desk after hydroplaning for 35 minutes and saw this email from my manager:

Unless you live very close by, I'd suggest sitting this one out.

My reaction was something like...



All in all, my morning as a whole was something like...



I'm expressing my bitterness by using company time to make this pointless entry.

By the way, the above clips are from a little show called Arrested Development. It is easily my favorite TV show right now, and definitely in my top three of all time. It's simply excellent in every way. Though I'm a bit late, I'm incredibly angry that it was cancelled. Still, I'm girl-giddy at the growing possibility of a movie.

You can watch the complete first and second seasons, and almost all of the third season here (better viewed in Internet Explorer...it's MSN, what do you expect?). (A lot of it is available at Hulu.com as well. Hulu is great.)

I created a Twitter account last night and was about to actually use it, when I realized that I lead an incredibly vapid life. I don't need a neat little social networking site to remind me of that.

Here's a fun litmus test for your ignorance:


presented by TravelPod, the World's Original Travel Blog

No, the Jason I referred to in the title of this entry is not me. I'm referring to Jason Wade of Lifehouse. I've said it multiple times, but I'll say it again: the man is a primo lyricist. Seriously, the guy can write.

The first line of "Whatever It Takes" gave me goosebumps:

A strangled smile fell from your face

Come on! Can that imagery be expressed any better?

This verse from "Storm" (great, great song) also smote me:

I know you didn’t bring me out here to drown So why am I ten feet under and upside down Barely surviving has become my purpose Because I’m so used to living underneath the surface

Their most recent album, Who We Are, is pretty good. Take a listen.

And, by the way, "The Joke," which is up at the top of this page, is from the album and has a very interesting background:

Known for his brooding lyrics of teenage angst resulting from his parents’ divorce and his own poor relationship with his father, Wade explores more diverse songwriting topics this time around, putting himself into other characters in songs like “The Joke,” with its syncopated world beat, inspired by a newspaper article detailing the story of a British boy who hung himself after being bullied by schoolmates. Jason puts himself into the subject’s shoes, with lyrics that could be right out of a suicide note: “When you find me in the morning/Hanging on a warning.”

Back to work...

No comments: